Summer to me means an abundance of fresh fruit. Sweet strawberries, dark blueberries and juicy raspberries are some of the little luxuries that I look forward to for months and can never get enough of.
Another fruit that symbolizes long, hot days to me is the passionfruit. So unremarkable from the outside, but vibrant and bright on the inside they are something quite special. Which is why I couldn't wait to use some of the passionfruit purree my mom brought home recently. Even though there are lots of great recipes with passionfruit out there (passionfruit soufflée, anyone?) I was craving something cold and refreshing. And what's more refreshing on a hot summer day than a tall glass of sweet and sour lemonade? The dark sugar rives this recipe nice depth while the mint goes perfect with the tart passionfruit aroma. Can't wait for summer to return, so I can make myself a pbig pitcher of this beautiful drink!
Recipe for Passionfruit & Mint Lemonade
Makes 2 Portions
- 200 ml passionfruit juice or purree
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- A few sprigs of fresh mint, to taste
- Two slices of Lime, cut in quarters
- Sparkling water
- Crushed ice
- Put the sugar, the lime and the washed mint in a glass and use a mortar to squash everything together, until the lime releases its juices.
- Fill the glass with the passionfruit juice/purree and then with the sparkling water. If you prefer the lemonade sweeter, you can substitute the water for Sprite.
- Add the ice and stir it all together.
- Don't forget the straw for the ultimate summer feeling!